Chez Laila, Portside Wharf, Hamilton, Brisbane - my name is Food.

Chez Laila, Portside Wharf, Hamilton, Brisbane

November 08, 2012

Gnocchi Prosciutto e Funghi
Portside Wharf on the Hamilton Harbour may be known as for their desirable place to live in, the apartments and the view of Brisbane river.. Also for their boutiques to shop, the cinema and of course, the restaurants that surrounds it... Chez Laila is one of the restaurants located in Portside Wharf, near where the cinemas are and the river... 

 I like their sink for those dirty hands to be washed before eating... or maybe it wasn't for the eaters, but for the workers...

the counter overseeing the inside seats
 There are seatings both outside and inside..
Weekday Special Board





House Wine
This was their house wine which was a combination meal deal of the lunch special... Bought three dishes, the Spaghetti Carbonara, the Italian Sausage Pizza and the Gnocchi Prosciutto e Funghi...
Spaghetti Carbonara

Spaghetti Carbonara had a decent amount of sauce and cheese on top.. Portion was decent as well.. 
Spaghetti Carbonara
However, I thought that the bacon pieces and the taste of the cream and egg could be better... The amount of bacon added was not as fresh as I hoped it would be.. It was just diced bacon... I prefer my carbonara with slices of bacon, doesn't have to be in big cuts or slices, but just enough to see that it was fresh and not just diced bacon that might just have been bought from the supermarkets... 
Spaghetti Carbonara
They had a lunch special on their "Italian Sausage" pizza which included either a soft drink or house wine.. and the house wine was then chosen... 
Italian Sausage Pizza
It had a combination of bbq based sauce with rocket, mozarella cheese, italian sausage with chilli to give that spicyness and zing... I don't really remember what the other toppings were...
Italian Sausage Pizza
The pizza base was alright... not too crispy nor too thick either... The sauce somehow had some mustard taste that goes along with it.. and if you look closely at the top and bottom photos of the pizza, you would be able to see traces of the mustard seeds... 
Italian Sausage Pizza
Next, the Gnocchi Prosciutto e Funghi... Out of all of the Pasta that I saw, there was about three that really caught my eye.. the Quail Risotto, the Rabbit pasta and the Gnocchi Prosciutto e Funghi... And, ended up ordering the Gnocchi instead...
Gnocchi Prosciutto e Funghi
I've tried different types of gnocchi around and I do realise that some restaurants just use pre-made ones and not homemade ones.. Though, to be honest, I may have to go with the freshly made gnocchi... Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the packaged ones, but I may sometimes have a thing for freshness when it comes to ingredients in dishes... Like many would say that the fresher, the better..
Gnocchi Prosciutto e Funghi
I actually like their gnocchi, seeing and tasting it, it can be said that this was not pre-packaged or such... the different sizes and the different shapes though all are similar... The taste of the gnocchi was nice but a little bit more flavouring would have sufficed it maybe... I like weird shaped pastas sometimes, so when I see a pasta that is really curly or wrinkly, I would choose that without a doubt if I had to choose between just a penne or a spaghetti out of them all... 
close up of the Funghi and the Prosciutto
Their prosciutto and funghi was alright... the combination of the ingredients blended in well.. The sauce could have been abit more... Though, I also had a comment how the other eater did not really fancy their gnocchi, but again, it depends on personal preference... Some may think A is good and B isn't, but then some may think the opposite...

Chez Laila on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Review of the Month

Fogata Latin Fusion Bar & Restaurant - Fortitude Valley, Brisbane

Zomato

View my food journey on Zomato!